I came to the martial arts relatively late in life, taking my first class on my 40th birthday. I recently had the honor of taking a portion of my red belt test. The rest of the test starts this week when I again begin taking classes as a white belt. I will then spend weeks to months at each belt, white through blue, being given the opportunity to look at the the curriculum for each rank through the eyes of an 8 year practitioner.



This blog will contain my reflections on the process.

Monday, June 21, 2010

It makes us all better

On Thursday and Saturday I had my first experiences every sparring as a white belt. When I first "went through the belts" students started sparring at yellow belt. Quantum has since changed and has allowed high white belts (and the occasional experienced white belt) to spar with no contact in sparring class.

When you are supposed to be working straight line and distance techniques, you only have a few tools in your bag. Inside grappling and even closer in techniques such as hook punches are not supposed to be the focus at white and yellow belt. Strikes are supposed to be focused on the torso only. So, with not many offensive options, defense and footwork become key.

I had a couple of sparring partners comment about how watching us "recycled white belts" gives them a new study in footwork and an ability to really work on that with us. As we focus on our footwork but can make no contact, it gives them the opportunity to consider their own footwork without fear that a misstep will get them nailed. Another partner commented on how when trying to work straight line techniques, working with me showed him what he was leaving open in doing so.

Honestly, I never considered that I would be a useful sparring partner to my training friends as a white belt. Selfishly I guess, I assumed it would be all about me and me learning more about no contact sparring with others being able to use more varied techniques than I. I also kind of thought it was amusing to spar and say "you can't touch me (hee hee hee)". What an unexpected and wonderful surprise it is to witness the effect that myself and my training partners going back to our basics has on raising the level for the entire school.

I guess I won't "punch ya later" and we will all learn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment